Code of Conduct
The California Freethought Day Committee is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion.
We expect all participants to follow this code of conduct at Freethought Day and all related events.
- Alcohol is not permitted at the event at any time and those with alcohol or exhibiting inebriation will be immediately removed from the event.
- Smoking and vaping are prohibited within 50 feet of all venues.
- Weapons of any kind are prohibited, regardless of lawful status, with the exception of active law enforcement officers.
- Exhibitions of racism, sexism, homophobia, and stereotyping are prohibited.
- Ask for consent before all inter-personal contact, respecting those who do not like to be touched and their personal space.
- To avoid distractions, mobile devices should be set to silent during any presentation.
- Refrain from wearing heavy fragrances -- including perfume, cologne, and scented shampoo -- which can cause allergic reactions to other attendees.
- Understand that seating marked "Reserved" (or other similar markings) is for our VIP attendees, those with vision or hearing impairments, and those with mobility accommodation needs.
- The speakers and entertainers, unless otherwise stated during their performance, provide consent to attendees to take photographs and recordings (video and audio) of their performance. Outside of their performance, understand that they may not necessarily wish to pose for photographs, provide an autograph, or be interviewed.
The Freethought Day Committee will not tolerate harassment of the public, attendees, speakers, exhibitors, volunteers, or staff in any form. Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
Those asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. Event participants violating this policy will be expelled from the event (without a refund) at the discretion of the Freethought Day Committee.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of the Freethought Day Committee immediately. Committee members can be identified wearing a special "Committee" event button, and usually found at the Registration area or the Volunteer Hospitality area.
Alternatively, you may report an incident through:
an email to chair@FreethoughtDay.org, or
a text or phone call to David Diskin, at 209-610-0651.
Local law enforcement and other emergency services can be reached by dialing 9-1-1.
The non-emergency number for Sacramento police is 916-264-5471.
If requested, committee members will help victims of harassment contact local law enforcement, provide escorts, arrange for a taxi or lodging, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the event.
A Note to Families
The committee welcomes families with children and expects all attendees to treat these families with courtesy and respect.
Parents or guardians bringing children are responsible for the children's behavior. Parents of younger children should consider our Family Fun Zone.
Parents or guardians should be aware that not all language may be suitable for children.
Further, photographs and video may be taken of your family for publicity purposes. Learn more.
The California Freethought Day Committee is committed to protecting your privacy.
Should you decide to register, you will be asked to provide your name, contact information, and possibly your billing information. When you submit a credit card payment request, you are giving us permission to submit information necessary to complete the transaction to our credit card processing vendor. We do not give, share, sell or transfer any personal information to a third party without permission from you. We do not store credit card numbers in our databases.
When you provide it, this website collects your email address for the purpose of sending you registration confirmation and other information about Freethought Day, as well as announcements about future events hosted by the Sacramento Area Coalition of Reason.
List members may be removed from the list at any time by replying and asking to be removed.
Attendees of Freethought Day (and related events) provide their consent to the California Freethought Day Committee to have their picture taken or be included in audio/video recordings of the event. This media (including pictures, audio, and video) may be used in multiple forms of promotion (including the web, social networking, print, and television). Attendees waive any and all rights to review or approve any use of this content, and expect no compensation.
Attendees who have brought guests - under the age of 18 - to Freethought Day are agreeing to these terms on behalf of their underage guests.
The Freethought Day Committee will consider requests by attendees to not have their photograph taken, and to have photographs of them removed from social media websites upon request.
If you have any questions, please contact the California Freethought Day Committee.